Mindfulness has been shown to help with stress, depression, and overall well-being. Here are 16 tips to help get the most out of your day and be more mindful!
1. Mindful means living in the moment, observing feelings and thoughts from a distance, without judging them as good or bad.
2. Exercise increases the feel good hormones while at the same time decreasing stress hormones, and is one of the best ways to prevent and help with depression and anxiety.
3. Train your brain to stay on task by limiting distractions. Turn off your phone, sign out of your email, and clear your desk to concentrate on the task you are trying to tackle.
4. DID YOU KNOW? Listening to lyric-free music engages the attention regions of the brain.
5. Active listening is one of the most important communication skills you can have because it establishes trust and shows interest in what another is telling you. Active listening is not merely hearing words, but understanding and interpreting what is being told.
6. One way to concentrate and understand better what another is telling you is to try repeating their words in your mind as they are speaking them. This will reinforce their message and keep you more engaged.
7. When you try to suppress feelings of unhappiness, this leads to more anxiety and stress buildup in the body. Instead of suppressing unhappy feelings, practice mindfulness by acknowledging the feeling exists, and understanding what you can do to move past it.
8. If thoughts and tasks are going through your mind keeping you up at night, keep a notepad next to your bed to write them down instead of making mental lists.
9. The stress hormone cortisol is generally highest within the first thirty minutes of waking – combat this stress response by practicing deep breathing and meditation first thing in the morning.
10. Mindfulness can help you to accept criticism better because it allows you to slow down thoughts, breath, listen and hear what is being told, and respond in a more thoughtful manner rather than just reacting.
11. Slow down your eating and practice mindfulness with your meals – it takes about 20 minutes for your body to send a satiation signal to your brain.
12. When we are distracted or multitasking while eating, it becomes harder to listen to our body’s signals about satiety and satisfaction. With your next meal, limit distractions and pay full attention to the eating experience.
13. Avoid mind wandering while working out. Instead, focus on the muscles you are working as this will enhance the effectiveness of your workout.
14. Mindfulness allows for us to make better choices. When the mind starts wandering under stressful situations it makes it more difficult to think clearly, and we tend to react rather than reflect.
15. Practice mindfulness for a better complexion. Your skin is the largest organ of your body and is a reflection of what is going on inside. Everything from your mood to your daily meals can make your complexion clearer, smoother, and younger.
16. Heightened levels of the stress hormone cortisol increases inflammation and oil production, which leads to breakouts and inflamed skin. Lower stress naturally with daily exercise and meditation.