Our resident health and fitness expert serves up her 21 favorite fitness tips to help you get in shape and reach your goals. Let’s get fit!
P.S. Don’t forget to try out Daily FitBot on Messenger for free workouts that you can do without a gym in 30 minutes or less!
1. Protein helps muscles heal faster, and athletes who consume adequate amounts are able to recover quicker after hard workouts and are less likely to get hurt.
2. Strength training increases stability of muscles and helps to improve structural weaknesses in your body, whether in the muscles, joints, or connective tissues.
3. Foam rolling helps to break up muscle knots, restores blood flow through these tight areas, thereby increasing circulation and allowing oxygen and other mediators to repair muscle tissue.
4. Avoid a hard workout right before bed as this may make it harder to fall asleep. Allow for 2-3 hours from your workout to sleep time.
5. Working out first thing in the morning allows for less chance of life getting in the way of preventing your workout.
6. High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT, is a highly efficient and effective style of exercise that alternates between short sprints with short periods of recovery.
7. Do you have tight hamstrings, calves, or sore feet? Try rolling a small ball such as a lacrosse ball under each foot daily for 5 minutes to relieve tightness.
8. DID YOU KNOW? Low back pain is a sign of weak abdominal muscles. Add in core exercises to your daily workout routine to prevent this from happening.
9. The plank exercise is one of the best ways to get a toned stomach, but it also improves posture and balance, as well as firing your glutes and hamstrings.
10 The benefits of exercise go way beyond weight loss. Exercise helps with attention, concentration, focus, energy, and stress release.
11. Full body exercises such as running or burpees are the most efficient forms of exercise because you engage more muscles at once in less amount of time- the more muscle groups you engage, the higher the calories burn.
12. Make exercise a priority by making it part of your daily routine. The most consistent exercisers are the ones who carve out a particular time of day and stick to that time for exercise on a daily basis.
13. Drinking coffee 30-60 minutes before a workout can boost your workout and fat burning.
14. You can’t out exercise a bad diet. It is much easier to eat 1,000 calories than to burn 1,000 calories. Exercise should be seen as a supplement to a healthy lifestyle, but diet is always number one.
15. If you aren’t exercising at all, start by taking the stairs instead of the elevator, park your car farther away from the destination, get off from the train a stop early and walk the rest of the way. All of these small movements add up at the end of the day.
16. Enjoyment of an exercise is fundamentally linked to how likely an individual is to stick with that exercise – meaning it doesn’t matter what you do for exercise, the most important thing is that you enjoy doing it.
17. To get yourself motivated to exercise, think about how great you feel AFTER your workout.
18. You will burn more calories running outside versus running on a treadmill at the same speed. Why? On the treadmill you have no wind resistance and you have a belt to help pull you along. To simulate outdoor running, set the incline to 1-2% on your next treadmill run.
19. Exercising regularly can help to boost your immunity, making you less likely to get sick.
20. Studies have shown that older people who exercise tend to have significantly less chance of cognitive decline compared to those who do not exercise regularly.
21. FYI. Exercise is one of the best ways to increase your good cholesterol aka HDL cholesterol. Get moving!